Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Undead and hilarious...

I've happily started working my way through my gihugic TBR pile of books which have been teasing me with their uncreased spines and potentially lovely new worlds...God I adore books! Anyway, last night I finished MaryJanice Davidson's newest, Undead and Unappreciated. Okay, I love MJ's undead books - and this one is no exception. I can say without hesitation that it was worth every cent of the hardback cover price. Truly. (And well done MJ for going to hb!) In this book Betsy finds out that she has a half sister who is, well, Satan's spawn. LOVE that MJ made Satan a woman. (I think of God as a woman, so it only makes sense to me that The Dark Side would be female, too. Plus, let's face it ladies, women are meaner than men. Not in the 'shoot 'em up yeehaw cowboy' way men have of starting wars, etc. In the 'rip out your heart and soul and make your life a living hell' way. Plus, we multi-task. Satan should be able to multi-task.) Sinclair is delicious, as per usual. And her horrid step-mom, the Ant, is pregnant. Gross, man. Love the Book of the Dead ramifications, too.

Naturally, the ending is a non-ending because there's another book. Which is good. And bad. I hate waiting. When's the next one out, MJ??

Now I'll take a moment to totally gush about the fab Mysteria anthology that will be out in July 06, and say once again how thrilled I am to be a part of it! Sue Grant, Gena Showalter, the to die for MaryJanice Davidson and moi! I am sooo looking forward to next summer!

Okay, after I finished the fab Undead I started on Kushiel's Dart. (Uh, a much different read, by-the-by.) So far I'm intrigued, but the book has a bazillion pages and my TBR pile is ridiculously high. Which means if the book doesn't continue to grab me I'll probably set it aside and dive into another. Not that my attention span is freakishly short, but (as we have already discussed) there are so many books...

3 comments:

Jana Armstrong said...

You won't have to wait long, PC, because MJ's Undead #4 (Undead and Unreturnable) is out in October 05.

PC Cast said...

Excellent news! Thanks Jana.

Jeri said...

Just read Undead and Unappreciated last night--in one sitting, literally. I was thrilled with it, esp. since I thought #2 in the series was not as good as #1. I liked that it went to some darker places while still maintaining the light comedic tone.