Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Out with the old...

Well, now that Goddess of the Rose is winging its way to my editor it's time I turn my attention to my next project. And this is a fun one! Those of you who have checked out my website (http://www.pccast.net) know that this spring I was invited to contribute to a charity anthology for Triskelion Publishing, and that I then teamed up with MaryJanice Davidson, Gena Showalter, and Susan Grant to sell expanded versions of our short charity episodes to Berkley. That anthology, Mysteria, will be released summer 2006 - and it's that novella that I'm working on right now. I am having a wicked good time with this one! If you want a sneak peak of our 4 novella, check out the charity anthology by following the link on my website to purchase the e-book version, or you can pick up the printed Bewitched, Bedazzled, and BeVampyred - ISBN #1-933471-29-8. I promise that it will tweek your interest...speaking of - here's an interview Gena Showalter and I did about Mysteria for her agent, Deidre Knight's blog (http://www.knightagency.blogspot.com):


Recently we (PC Cast and Gena Showalter) were contracted to a romance anthology at Berkley – tentatively titled MYSTERIA -- PC by her agent Meredith Bernstein and Gena by her agent Deidre Knight. We thought it might be interesting to describe how the project developed.

The beginning: We were invited to be a part of a charity anthology for Triskelion Press. Triskelion already had characters and plots we could have used for our episodes, but we wanted to write something different, something all our own. We really saw it as an opportunity for us to explore our wildest imaginations.

Gena: “I had a mental picture of three young, beautiful witches dancing naked through a graveyard and accidentally raising the dead – and one of the sisters falling in love with one of the. . . well, corpses. He’s only recently dead, so still handsome of course. I mean, imagine if Achilles from the movie Troy came back to life. Totally lovable, right?”

PC: “Oh Lord…I’ll probably raise lots of brows with this but…I got my idea from real life. An ex-student of mine finally talked me into going out with him – yes, on a real date (he’s 26 ½ and I’m 45). So I was dating him and having one hell of a good time…then Gena told me about the anthology and I started giggling because I thought how much fun it would be to use a page from reality and sprinkle it with a heavy does of fantasy (he’s not a werewolf, nor is he a gigolo).”

Gena: ”We enjoyed writing those episodes so much, we decided to take it a step further.”

PC: “Yeah, Gena and I talked about how much we’d like to expand our short episodes. Neither of us were finished with our characters (grin). So I said that we should set our own anthology in OUR fictional town – kinda like Desperate Housewives meets Bram Stoker.”

Gena: “I’m a huge Desperate Housewives fan and love the street the wives live on: Wisetria Lane. The moment PC said Desperate Housewives meets Bram Stroker’s Dracula – a stroke of brilliance on her part, I must say – I burst out with: they have to live in Mysteria.”

PC: “As always, Gena and I were in perfect agreement. The next step was for me to approach my editor at Berkley, Christine Zika, and see if she’d be interested in an anthology like this (before we put anymore time and effort into writing it). Christine was receptive, and she said if we came up with a Bible for our town, short proposals for each novella (short as in a couple of pages), and a couple more authors, she’d be happy to read it.”

Gena: "PC and I got together and brainstormed who would be perfect for this project. We kind of looked at each other and it was one of those moments where everything clicked into instant place. We knew right away MaryJanice Davidson and Susan Grant -- who had also participated in the charity anthology -- would be perfect."

PC: “Sue and I were already friends, but I was still nervous about approaching her. I mean, no author wants to hear a generic ‘gee, that’s a nice idea, but…’ from anyone, let alone a well-respected sister author. But Sue replied immediately and was very excited about the project. She felt the same way about her charity episode – she adored her demon hero and didn’t want to let him fade away.”

Gena: "I shot MaryJanice an email and like Sue, she returned my email that same day with a yes! Talk about propelling me straight to the stars. Being in an anthology with three of my favorite authors. . .a slice of heaven on earth!"

PC: “So with all the authors in place, Bible written, short proposals done, I called Christine. She was pleasantly surprised to hear from me, and then immediately excited about the group of authors. I emailed the proposal to her on that day (Thursday) and she called me MONDAY with a big fat YES! After that the details were really easy – Christine is a dream to work with. And all four of us were amazed to learn that this is the first author initiated anthology Berkley has ever published! Until now, they have always come up with the anthologypremise and then contacted authors. (This is a little detail I’m glad I didn’t know in the beginning.) So look for MYSTERIA in Summer 2006!”

Gena: “It will have a little bit of everything: demons, witches, magic, shape-shifters, vampires and so much more. Life doesn’t get any better than that, does it?”

For more information, visit PC Cast at www.pccast.net and Gena Showalter www.genashowalter.com
posted by Deidre Knight at 8:35 PM 5 comments

So...can you see why I'm having such a good time writing this??? Don't you love it when life lends itself to fantasy? (And a delicious young fantasy at that!)

Back to research...research...research...

PC

5 comments:

moonhart said...

"Oh Lord…I’ll probably raise lots of brows with this but…I got my idea from real life. An ex-student of mine finally talked me into going out with him – yes, on a real date (he’s 26 ½ and I’m 45).

Geez, PC! Not only do I envy your writing, but your life!!! LOLOL!

Blessed be! You give me hope!

That little tidbit made me think of this quote from Great Expectations:

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

You are an inspiration.

Terri

Gena Showalter said...

The woman has mojo, that's for sure!

PC Cast said...

Thanks Moon...as Gena knows this dating experience was very...ummm...inspiring. Hee hee. (6'4" and 230 - yum) It took almost 2 years of him asking before I said yes - then after I said yes I realized, "Holy Shit! What fun! I'm a moron to have hesitated." The rumor is true - younger guys are digging older women, which proves once again that God is definitely a woman.

Silma said...

Well, you know, we, women, are best after their 40th. b-day. *winks*

PC Cast said...

I totally agree with you Silma. The whole "the 40s are the new 30s" is so true! And for some guys in their 20s it seems that it might be the new 30s for them! Who knew middle age would be so deliciously fun?!

(You just wait Gena, baby, you young thing, you!)

PC