Sunday, June 05, 2005

Procrastination...

Well, I'm deeply swamped in Deadline Hell. Past my ears...going under...ugh. Which also means that I'm struggling with my greatest adversary. Is it self-doubt? Nope. Lack of ideas? Nope again. Creative exhaustion? Uh uh. Writer's block? Don't believe in it. My greatest adversary is PROCRASTINATION. Up until about p. 250 of a new manuscript I fight my procrastination demon daily. After p. 250 it's like the monster has been banished (probably to the realm of my next new manuscript), and I'm on a rollercoaster ride zipping to the bottom/conclusion.

Right now (at exactly 1:58 am) I'm on p. 196.

I'd wash my cat, but he's been sick and it really wouldn't be right to torture him like that. Sigh. My puppies (2 Scotties who are 4 months old) are sound asleep. I could wake them up and wash them, or maybe clean out their ears, but you know what they say about sleeping dogs. I think you're supposed to double it for sleeping puppies. I already surfed the internet "researching" pictures of hot springs, even though I knew damn good and well what the hot springs in Goddess of the Rose look like. Big sigh.

So now I'm writing in my blog. Excellent procrastination technique, especially because I'm new to blogging and I feel guilty that I don't write more in it more often. I mean, some authors blog daily - and they're funny. Or at the very least informative...Hey! I could search through my files and find the article I wrote about creating living, breathing characters!

Or I could behave myself and get back to Goddess of the Rose, which has to be turned in the first of July. Or thereabouts.

Yes, it'll be done. I don't miss deadlines. So I'll end up exhausted and neurotic (I mean more neurotic) pounding the keys for 12+ hours a day by the end of June.

Which wouldn't be necessary if I'd STOP PROCRASTINATING.

Also, I'd like to be reading Marianne Mancusi's new book, A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court (Dorchester Love Spell).

Check out this blurb:
Once upon a time there lived an outspoken fashion editor named Kat, who certainly was not your typical damsel in distress. But when a gypsy curse sent her back in time to the days of King Arthur, she found she'd need every ounce of her 21st century wits (and pop culture references) to navigate the legend. After all, surviving a magical plot, an evil prince, and a case of mistaken identity--all without changing history or scuffing your Manolos--takes some doing!

Luckily, she's got her very own knight in shining armor, Lancelot du Lac, on her side. The honorable-to-a-fault and devastatingly handsome champion insists on helping her out, even though she's not quite sure she wants him to. After all, shouldn't he be off romancing Queen Guenevere or something? Will Kat manage to stay out of trouble long enough to get back to her beloved café lattes, cosmopolitans and cashmere? And what will Lancelot's forbidden love mean for the kingdom of Camelot?

Sounds hilarious! Has anyone read it yet? If so, please post a review so I can continue to PROCRASTINATE by reading it.

Okay, off to try to go over the 200 page mark tonight.

Or...maybe my closets need to be cleaned...

PC

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL on the procrastination PC }:)

Jana Armstrong said...

Procrastination is awful. I seem to be the queen of it (especially re: writing).

And congrats on the being named a finalist of Booksellers Best for Elphame's Choice!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats PC :)

PC Cast said...

Thanks Jana and Bonnie! It was a lovely surprise that Elphame finaled.

PC

moonhart said...

Ah, yet another PC/moon similarity. Amazing. I have SIX, count em SIX scenes left to this WIP. Yesterday I swore I would write. Had the time. Yup. I did. Instead, I called my girlfriend down in SC. And she knows me well enough to tell me to my face, "You're procrastinating, right?" says she.

"No! NO! Really! I NEEDED to chat for 54 minutes and 38 seconds," says I.

A snort from the other end of the line as my girlfriend guffaws with laughter.

"Get back to work," says she.

I hang up muttering, trudge past my computer growling and decide to clean the frig out instead. Really. That's desperation.

New idea! I'll check PC's blog. No update. :( Drag that PC! I bet she NEvER procrastinates!!!!

Finally, I do sit down to write, but I check the Luna board and PC is saying how she loves her beast-man, perhaps as much as her Hades (which is a LOT) and so I decide that yes...I really and truly love my Louie and the only way to prove that love is to finish his story.

I plop down in chair and bang out 600 words. For me? Not bad.

I'll do it all again tonight. But when this is all over...I wanna read GotR, lady. Get typin!!!

moon

Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Night Owl Romance - Tammie said...

I always go for the - I have house work to do - great procrastination project. Always something to do or some husband to pick-up after.

Get a cracking - I'm really ready for that book - from the moment I saw an excerpt in the back of Goddess of Light - give us a tast please.

Tammie
NightOwlRomance.com
Reviews, Book Lists, Cool Postcards, and bookstore

Michele said...

I just finished A Fashionista in KAC and it was great! Don't use it to procrastinate, use it as a reward!! It is worth it. Besides, once you have squeezed the last word out and do what needs to be done to wrap things up, don't you need a reason to smile, unwind, and be taken somewhere else that is unique and just plain fun??? THATS when you read that book because once you start, you are not gonna want to put it down. I know I didn't *grin*. Or you can do what Nina B said in one of her blogs, she has a Huge Procrastination box under her bed. Out of sight, out of mind???
Anyway, wish you the Best of everything creative.!

PC Cast said...

See - I should be writing. But I thought, "Well, better check my blog!" Clearly you guys are leading me astray!

Actually, the reason I prefer to write between about 10:00 pm and 5:00 am is because there are less distractions. No emails to tempt me away from whatever fantasy I'm creating - no phone calls to or from friends/family. Of course the internet is a temptation...but I can usually handle that.

Michele - thanks for the Fashionista review! I've ordered the book and I'm going to reward myself as soon as I type "The End" of Goddess of the Rose.

Okay, let me dig around and see if I can excerpt part of GotR that describes my beast...

PC