Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sushi and vampires?



Okay, two things. First, I am reading a really excellent book, TWILIGHT by Stephanie Meyer. It's a vampire YA, and the (young) author's first book. I bought it in hardback because several of my high school students recommended it and I wanted to see what the buzz was about. Plus, you know my daughter and I are writing a YA vamp series for St. Martin's. So naturally I was curious. Kristin and I just finished the rewrites on the 1st book, so I decided to start TWILIGHT. I absolutely can not keep my face out of the book! The setting is multi-layered - the characters are well drawn - and Meyer's take on vampires is interesting.

So I take TWILIGHT to dinner with me last night (because my sissy brother refuses to eat sushi and my girlfriends were all busy), and I have to admit it - I pigged out totally on sushi and drank two orders of fabulous Pearl sake because I could not stop reading that damn book! I just kept ordering and ordering and eating and drinking and reading. Jeesh.

So I say buy this book - but it should come with a food and drink warning...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds cool...I totally love vamp stories whether they be adult books or YA novels. But if it makes me eat, it won't be sushi or any other fish for that matter. Allergic to seafood. Maybe I should keep a big box filled with chocolate while reading it?:-)

Shannon McKelden said...

I loved that book! It was so wonderfully written and drifted away from the stereotypical vampires. I have considered reading it again, even though it's only been a couple of months since the first reading. :-)

Shannon

Kristen Painter said...

I've seen that book a few times but haven't bought it yet. I guess I should if it goes so well with sushi...lol.

PC Cast said...

Dani - you'd love Twilight. Totally swipe it from Angel or Jenn (Hi guys!).

Shannon - I'm trying to savor it and read slowly...Go ahead - reread it!

Kathy - chocoate and wine would go perfect with the book.

Kristin - you must get it! I know you'd like it.

I'm especially enjoying the way the author is handling the sexual tension. And this is something I wrestle with in my YA series. Hope I pull it off as well as she does. It's tough to switch from HAWT adult romance to sexy but appropriate YA.

Jana Armstrong said...

New Moon (Twilight's sequel) releases in October! I'm super excited because I loved this book!!

PC Cast said...

Jana - I'm almost done with Twilight right now. Actually, I'm going to curl up with it and get it finished today. THEN I can get back to writing. And I'm pre-ordering the sequel!

weasel said...

I've read the first three books in this series and the first chapter of Midnight Sun (Edwards point of view), and I am absolutely IN LOVE with this series.
I actually just finished Eclipse a couple of days ago. It was the third time I've read it.
I can't wait until Breaking Dawn comes out! =]