Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Romance...romance...romance...

Well, ladies...as I'm swimming through the rewrite of Goddess of the Rose and working on sexual tension et all, I started thinking about plain old R.O.M.A.N.C.E. I consider myself a closet romantic. Really. I love creating it for fiction, but have only enjoyed snippets of it in Real Life. For example: Recently I dated a man who saved every wine cork from every bottle we shared. THAT was romantic. Too bad he turned out to be a turd. And once a man sent me a single red rose every day for a month. (Uh, he was really really really in trouble and the roses did not get him out of said trouble, but I appreciated the effort.) I think the most romantic thing that has ever actually happened to me was, ironically enough, a fluke of nature (okay, at the time I thought it was a sign from God that She wanted me to be with this man, but retrospect says FLUKE OF NATURE). This guy I was dating, let's call him The Professor, and I were driving back from a day of fun in the Ozark Mountains. It was dusk, and The Prof suddenly pulled over off the side of the road and pointed. Amazed, we parked there and watched this incredibly thick mist lift and swirl over the valley, and it seemed to be moving in time to the soundtrack he'd just put in the CD (to the movie The Hours). Naturally, we kissed (I will admit that The Prof could kiss) and it was like a scene from one of my books...well...only there was no HEA, but it was romantic and magical, albiet temporarily so!

So how about you guys?! Tell me what's the most romantic thing that's ever happened to you!

9 comments:

Brandy said...

My then boyfriend, now DH, picked me up for our first Valentine's Day date with a dozen roses, a gold necklace, a gold bracelet and a box of chocolates. We had been dating only a month. Is it any wonder I married him 2 years later?( And have been married for over13 years.)

moonhart said...

Geez, PC...

What don't you just let me answer some obscure nanotechnology problem?

That would be easier.

I am a closet romantic too...only I have memory problems.

terri

moonhart said...

Ps.

I want Brandy's hubby.

Damn.

terri

PC Cast said...

I think I want Brandy's DH, too! LOVE a man who's not afraid to go over the top to get what he wants. I'm so not into reserved, emotionally aloof men who think that being inhibited is a sign of maturity. Please!! They should realize that women see stand-off-ish-ness as just the opposite (and truly interesting women see it as truly UNinteresting!).

Come on, Moon! You can think of something girl!

Nicole said...

Hmm...my husband can be rather romantic at times.

One I remember: He'd called me from work one day to ask about something. I'd be having a bad day and was trying to sound chipper since it had nothing to do with him, just me feeling depressed in general. Didn't think he'd noticed until he came home after work with a bouquet of flowers to chee r me up. He made supper that night too.

But he does lots of little things that I love, like listening to me talk about a book I loved, even though he's not really interested, or taking the time to explain an engineering concept in layman's terms so I can understand what he does.

Gena Showalter said...

The most romantic things to me are the little things. Like when he knows I've had a bad day (hint, hint- like now! -- in case he's reading) and brings me home my favorite food. Or I wake up and there are doughnuts and coffee waiting for me on the table. Wait, I'm sensing a food theme here. I guess that means if you buy me something to eat, I think you're a freaking romantic genius.

TJ Brown said...

My husband leaves me love notes and cards...not all the time, but several times a year. Very sweet too. As well he might. I have put up with him for almost 17 years!
Teri

moonhart said...

Okay, I am filing for divorce.

Really.

terri

PC Cast said...

Moon - you're making me laugh. Start reading romance novels aloud to him, especially the hot parts. Maybe he'll start acting hero-like. Or whatnot.

I wish men really understood how much little random acts of romance mean to us. I think if they could comprehend that they'd get laid more often, their behavior might change. Might.