Monday, August 01, 2005

Back & Semi-coherent...

Okay - RENO WAS A BLAST!! Naturally, I feel like I've been beat with a truck today. But it was worth it worth it worth it. Here's your recap:

Wednesday - The plane didn't crash. Uh, remember my heroine in Goddess of the Sea? The USAF Sgt who is scared shitless to fly (but she flies a lot anyway)? People are always asking "How are your heroines like you?" Easy answer for that book - I HATE TO FLY. I think of it as a gihugic coffin hurling out of control (my control anyway) through the sky and constantly believe I'm going to smack into the ground. So I flight medicate myself (Xanax and wine) and off I go. **Side note** Thanks a lot Sue Grant for telling me those horrifying pilot stories.
Anyway. I got into Reno in time to go to late lunch/early dinner with Sue Grant and my insane roomie, Gena Showalter (visit her blog - the girl is crazy), before we went to the literacy signing. Hey! I had a line. Well, not a big one and not very long, but still. It was great to see so many fans. Afterwards I rushed off to the Bookseller's Best Award ceremony with my fabulous agent, Meredith Bernstein, Sue Grant, and Gena Showalter, who was a finalist with me in the paranormal category for her delicious Stone Prince. I WON with Elphame's Choice! Of course Gena said she was going to put gum in my hair and rip up my cloths as soon as I fell asleep. I threatened to tie her to the bed at night, but she just seemed to like that idea...

Thursday - Had a great lunch with my Luna editor, Mary-Theresa Hussey, and long time Harlequin author Virgina Kantra (who also writes for Berkley). Matrice took us to a wonderful Italian restaurant in Reno and we ate and drank, drank and ate. My favorite! Then it was back to the hotel to get gorgeous for the award ceremonies that night. First my fabulous Berkley editor, Christine Zika, was a finalist for the PASIC Editor of the Year. The ceremony was held at the vintage car museum in Reno. Okay, I'll admit that my first reaction to hearing that we were going to a car museum was "Huh? What the F were they thinking? We're not guys." Well, I was totally wrong (it doesn't happen often, but I'm willing to admit it when I'm wrong). This place was fab! They had sets displaying amazing old cars and stuff we could dress up in to take pictures. Okay, may I just say that my agent is a total picture freak? The woman is Queen of Cameras. Yep - as soon as she sends them to me I will definitely post. My editor didn't win, but to me she'll always be editor of the year! So we rush from there to the National Reader's Choice Awards. No, I wasn't a finalist this year, but the NRCA is run by my RWA Chapter, and we give one hell of a party. Check out the website for the list of winners (congratulations Amanda!) http://www.okrwa.com. We had to leave there early to make the Prism Awards. I was thrilled when Goddess of Spring WON the light paranormal category! (God, I LOVE those crystal pyramids!) Sue Grant's wonderful Bonzai Maguire won in time travel. I'm happy to report that my friends Robin Owens and CJ Barry were also winners in the fantasy and futuristic categories. So then I rushed from there to the Death by Chocolate party and the Daphne Du Maurier Award ceremony. And let me tell you - the chocolate was definitely to die for! When Elphame won (again!) in the paranormal/fantasy/time travel category I admit to screaming like a pre-teen girl at an old Backstreet Boys concert. Then my agent and I stayed up way too late and drank way too much. Again.

Friday - started out more peaceful. I signed books at the Berkley signing (Hi Book Ladies! Can't wait to come to California!)...went to a few workshops...hung out... Then the parties started. The Berkley party was too damn hot, even with the freely poured champagne, but that was probably because authors like Nora Roberts were in attendance. Talent like that causes major heat. Yes, I met and actually spoke to Ms. Roberts. (No, she doesn't know who the hell I am.) Went from there to what everyone knows is the BEST F-ING RWA PARTY, the Harlequin party. Oh, baby. More free booze and desserts desserts desserts. **Side note - Gena Showalter was bombed. Totally. And hilarious. I can't wait for the pictures. Oh, Jill Monroe was bombed too. Shit-faced. You ask, "Hey! What about you PC? Are you saying you weren't shit-faced with the rest of them?!" (I hear your sarcastic tone, by-the-by.) My answer is "HELL NO! I WAS TOO BUSY DANCING!" Truly. I can not stay off a dance floor. And may I just say that my agent is one hell of a dancer, too! So I stumbled back to my room, exhausted but sober. (Unlike Gena and Jill and a zillion other authors.)

Saturday - My Goddess Editor, Christine Zika, took me to a divine lunch at the oyster bar in the skyroom of the Atlantis resort. We mixed business with pleasure, going over the edits for Goddess of the Rose (which are, happily, light), and then we talked about the next Goddess Summoning Books. You'll be pleased to know that there will be at least 3 more after GotR...but, they will be...well...different. That's all I'll say right now. We also decided on another project, but that's totally hush-hush at the moment. I'll let you know as soon as I get the word that I can blab! Saturday night Sue Grant and I opted out of the banquet dinner and had a decadent dinner before attending the Rita. ***Good Gossip*** Sue Grant met a guy. Well, she knew him before he came to Reno, but they planned a date there. Okay - he's cute and handled himself well even surrounded by a bazillion romance authors, agents, editors, etc., all who were totally checking him out and giving him a hard time. Poor guy. Clearly Sue enjoys torturing her man.

Sunday - The plane didn't crash. Again. I got in late late late. My Scottie had a nervous breakdown while I was gone and decided to pee all over my condo (so I'm cleaning carpets today). My cat freaked and bit the crap out of my daughter, who says she's never babysitting again. I have bleeding blisters on my feet from too damn much rushing about in various different pairs of come-fuck-me stilettos (and dancing all night in my perfectly FAB stiletto boots). I'm pissed because tomorrow I have a seriously hot date with an incredible man who is totally and completely sweeping me off my feet and he definitely deserves the whole come-fuck-me pumps and push-up bra treatment, but I can not even think about putting my feet in those things again. Sigh. Crap. Guess I'll go for plunging cleavage and keep his eyes averted from the disgustingly semi-cool shoes I'll be forced to wear. I suppose keeping his attention from my feet won't be so bad afterall... (Ladies, he is one sexy man!)

Back to carpet cleaning...wait. I can do that tonight. I'm going to take my sore feet and Kushiel's Dart (which I'm adoring) and go out to the pool. I need to recover so I can be back in top form for my date tomorrow...yummy...research research research.

18 comments:

Michele said...

I KNEW you'd win.
Congrats!!!!!!
LOL on your adventures with Gena.
Welcome back!

Gena Showalter said...

Yes, I totally threatened PC's hair and clothing, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. And when she treatened me back, well, I thought I'd kept that "I hope that's a promise" look off my face. Oh well. Maybe next time.

You can ask Jill Monroe -- I hate to fly too. With a passion. I think she's dubbed me as the woman (okay, human) with the sweatest hands EVER.

And I want pictures too! If anyone has pictures of me from Reno, send send send!! Must. . . have. . .

PC Cast said...

Okay, so true! Gena's hands sweat like a linebacker's underarm pits. So attractive. (Wait...let me swallow down that bile...find my happy place, find my happy place...)

For a pretty girl she has some scary secrets.

Kristen Painter said...

PC - I sat behind you at the paranormal workshop and I just have to say - you have fabulous hair. Very goddess-like. ;o)

PC Cast said...

Thanks baby! You're pretty damn goddess-like yourself, Ms. Tall Blonde Bombshell.

moonhart said...

Oh living life through PC! It's ALMOST as good as being there. LOLOL!

What a great, great time for you, PC. Totally jealous (as usual). And I think that Gena paid your dog to have a nervous breakdown, btw. Better check under his water dish for biscuits or something.

Now YOUR hunky dude. HE should have come to the Con and then we could REALLY scoop him. Did I mention I am totally jealous? Cause, I am. Totally. Completely. Jealous. Ha! Look at that, green IS my color after all!

Now about these *different* summoning books? You're scaring me. Will I like them? I don't do well with change, PC. Not at all. I mean, change? How do you change fantastic? Fanpendous? Stupastic? What?

I'm really scared. Where's my blankie?

I wanna be a goddess. I want nice hair. I wanna be tall too, come to think of it.

When my book comes out, you are all gonna have to put up with me tagging along and inviting myself to your parties.

Hey, everyone needs that short, zaftig, funny sidekick. Right?

;)

Terri/moon

Jeri said...

Congrats on the awards! Sounds like a fabulous time, too. I spent all weekend doing edits and sulking that I wasn't there. :-(

Nothing like coming back to reality, huh? Even goddesses have to clean dog pee out of carpet sometimes, I guess.

PC Cast said...

Moon - you're making me laugh, girl. Don't you worry about the Goddess Summoning change. I promise you'll love the books. I'm already excited about writing them! Right now all I can tell you is that I've wanted to write both stories for years. As soon as everything's signed I'll give details and you'll see it's all good.

I'll bet Gena DID bribe my dog! And he's so damn gullible she probably only had to smile at him.

And I fully expect to see you next year PUBLISHED at RWA!

Jeri - missed you, girl!

Scottie pee is all cleaned up (thankfully). I do believe I'm going to loll by the pool until it's time to get gorgeous for my date...

Sasha White said...

Congratulations on the win!
I'd have said somethign when I saw you, but well I didn;t knwo abotuit then. Plus, I was in awe of those fabulous boots, and then the dancing, well I have to say I just had too much fun on the dance floor with you!

Now that I've discovered your blog, I'lll be back here to hear all about the hot date. I'm jelaous. But willing to live vicariously.

moonhart said...

Yup! Next year I am crashing the party as a pubbed author and Jeri and I are gonna sit in the corner, drink alcohol and change the lyrics to every song that the DJ plays.

The goddess types can dance on the dance floor. Or maybe Jeri and I will crash the dance floor WHILE singing the new lyrics to whatever song is playing. Hmmm....

I like Jeri. Maybe she'll be my new best friend, seeing how your goddessness is out with his studliness. Have I mentioned that I am jealous?

Ah well, I can comfort myself with a hero named Louie. Another thing Jeri and I have in common.

;)

moon

Jeri said...

It's a date, Moon. Hey, when is your book coming out? What's it called? Gimme the scoop!

Is anyone going to World Fantasy Con this year? I heard the rooms are almost all sold out. Haven't decided yet if I should spend the money or wait until next year. I haven't been to a con since January, and I spent that one sick with a stomach flu. I'm owed a good con on a cosmic scale.

PC Cast said...

Sasha! You hot little dancer you! (Jeesh I love to dance!)

I'm home from the hot date. Unfortunately he has to get up early, and he had a rough weekend so he was exhausted - or I wouldn't be home so early. Which doesn't mean I didn't have a fabulous time. I definitely did. What a guy...(happy teenage-sounding sigh) God, the man can kiss like a dream (a naughty one).

I'm not going to Worldcon this year, but I do think I'll be at RT next spring. How about you guys?

PC Cast said...

Uh, I just realized that my last post said 9:27 and I didn't want y'all to think I'd come home THAT early! Actually it's 11:27 my time, which is still early but not Bad Date early.

Sasha White said...

I'm aiming to be at RT!!

I like going to a conference where I can tell everyone I'm a virgin! *hehehe*

Glad the date went well. A naughty dream is good one! ;)

Jill Monroe said...

I firmly stand behind the belief that all those blue drinks I consumed at the Harlequin party left me in full control of all faculties!

PC Cast said...

Jill, baby, you were barely standing - let alone firmly!

Eva Gale said...

Oh Man! Reno, an Award (!!!) great boots and a hot Date??

Good Lord, does life GET any better than that?

Congratulations!

PC Cast said...

Well...actually it was three awards and a great pair of boots - the hot date wasn't till I got back to Tulsa. But he was worth the wait. Grin. And the only thing better would be the NY Times Bestseller list!