Monday, July 06, 2009

My Favorite Books


I had a page on my website that referenced some of my favorite all time reads because I get asked so often for recommendations. So I'm going to duplicate them here, divided into YA and adult. Guys - please understand that I'm only making the two distinctions because parents can get uncomfortable with teens reading what they consider "adult" material. I think that's each family's business, and I'm just being careful not to recommend to twelve year olds something that's sooooo not appropriate.

Some of my all time favorite books are:

Young Adult:
Beauty by Robin McKinley
Dragon Flight, Dragon Quest, and The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
My Losing Season by Pat Conroy
Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Hawksong Books by Amelia Atwater Rhodes
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Adult:
The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
Watchers by Dean Koontz
The Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz
I really love Wilbur Smith's African novels!
Anything at all by Pat Conroy, but I especially love Beach Music, The Prince of Tides, The Water is Wide, and The Great Santini
Anything Christopher Moore writes. My current favorites are: Fool and Lamb.
If you want hot and sexy, Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series will be a perfect fit.
I also totally heart Kresley Cole's books.
And I think everyone should read: Winds of War by Hermon Wouk, Shogun by James Clavell, Night by Elie Wiesel, and The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith Ready is an amazing novel

Wow! There are so many amazing books!

Happy reading,
PC

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA! FIRST ON THIS ONE, SUCKERS!

PC Cast said...

Yes indeed LL! You're a wily guy. So have you read any of these (be careful when you answer - remember, I've taught English for 15 years and there could be a quiz involved!).

XXXOOO

Glowstars said...

I absolutely loved Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity! Ink Exchange was good, but it just didn't compare to the other two.

Ban said...

very ecclectic list - thanks for sharing !!! (cause my TBR list isn't yet falling over :D

Unknown said...

Have you by any chance tried the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris? They are what HBO's series True Blood is based on and the novels totally rock. Plus, even with the differences from the books to the tv series, it does tell you what is coming up in the future seasons.:-)

PC Cast said...

I haven't read Ms. Harris's books, though they are in my TBR pile, and I adore True Blood.

LeighTilda said...

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is also an amazing book...
it reminds me of the short story The Most Dangerous game...

Larissa said...

PC, I have been an avid reader of Anne McCaffrey for years. You might also enjoy Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series, which I started reading around the same time (mid-teens). If you want to get a feel for the series, I'd start with Arrows of the Queen. If you want to read my absolute favorite (which will make you cry), start with Magic's Pawn. I have a feeling you'll like it - and Damien would LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

can you answer this question........ Are the HON books being made into a movie and if so when is marked comeing out? thanx

PC Cast said...

HoN Fan - I have an entire blog post dedicated to movie questions.

PC Cast said...

Hi Larissa - yes, I have read Misty Lackey's books. She is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks. Im sorry I didnt realize that. I just started reading the series 9 days ago and ive finished all of them. Also I loved the books To Kill A Mocking Bird, Romeo & Juliet, and Fahrenheit 451. :)

Simply_Dina said...

OMG i LOVED farenheit 451, my english teacher in the 8th grade made us read it and i thought it was spectacualr... i thought the book burning idea was a little absurd at first but then i realized that it went with the overall theme of the book and it explained the seriousness of the way things were in that time... N E who Loved it! Same goes for Romeo and Juliet.. thought it was wonderfull and adored it even though alot of my peers thought it was overrated... =] glad yu liked them too.. PS sorry i get a lil excited when it comes to books

rania123456 said...

This is a great post. I’m glad it was bumped. Otherwise I would’ve missed these very useful information.

Regard
http://www.higrade.com

corie paige said...

Night by Elie Wiesel, I loved this book. I read it in my sophomore English class.

Unknown said...

I've read:
Wicked Lovely and Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I read Speak in grade 7 and it's been a favorite of mine for years, and I just got into Melissa Marr's books.

I just have maybe one or two books for you to check out, if you'd like (and if you like murder/mystery/romance kinda novels).
Heartbeats by Susan Rae
Heartsick and Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain.
I think those are amazing books :)